Tuesday 29 September 2015

Red Velvet Cake Made with Beetroot

For me, red velvet cake is always considered as a very elegant cake. Because of it beautiful red color, it lets people image to eat red velvet cake with a cup of coffee or tea in the high-end restaurant. I would like to bake red velvet cake for ages, but I gave up because I didn’t want to poison myself to eat red food coloring. I know it can be replaced by beetroot. I always forgot to buy it. So, I have no chance to bake it. Last Saturday, my friend gave us some beetroots. I thought, Oh… Yes… My red velvet cake… Finally, I can bake it by myself. I used beetroots so that I didn’t use vinegar and buttermilk to have the reaction. So, here you go.

 
Oven Temperature Setting: 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3
Baking Time: 40~45 minutes
Recipe: A 7” Round Baking Dish


 
Steps of Red Velvet Cake

(1) Prepare a small saucepan filling a half full with hot water. Place a bowl over the top of saucepan, but not touching the water. Break dark chocolate into small pieces and place into the bowl. And cut butter into small cubes and place into the bowl. Switch on the small heat. Stir the chocolate and butter until it is melted. Remove the bowl from the pan. Set aside.

 (2) Place eggs and mashed beetroot into another bowl. Mix them well
(3) Add flour, baking powder, and sugar gradually into mixture. Make sure incorporate all ingredients before adding more flour and sugar in.

 (4) Add chocolate mixture into the beetroot mixture. Well incorporate all of them. Pour into the baking dish. Send it to a pre-heated oven at 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3 and bake around 40~45 minutes.
(Selena’s Kitchen Talk: Insert the cake tester into the middle of the cake. If there is no batter left on it, it means it is ready)

 
Steps of Cream Cheese Icing
(1) Place soft cheese, butter and icing sugar into a bowl. Mix them well. Leave in the fridge around 30 minutes to be set. It is easier to spread.

 Steps of Assembly
(1) When red velvet cake is ready, cool the cake completely on a rack. It takes around 1~2 hours.
(2) Slice the top off of the cake
(3) Spread the cream cheese icing over the top. And, place some strawberries or chocolate on the top of cream cheese icing as the decorations.

 
Hee… My dreamy cake… Red Velvet Cake. Just feel like it is a cake, but it is SUPER HEALTHY cake. Bake with beetroots. How is your idea? Enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment