Saturday 12 September 2015

Carrot Cake


 
For me, carrot cake has an interesting story. It was closed to Easter holiday. Of course, there were lots of cakes using Easter eggs or rabbits as the decoration. My friend were explaining me what Easter is and how people celebrate Easter Holiday. Then, my friend asked me, “Have you tried Carrot Cake?” I though, what? Carrot Cake? Why do people name carrot cake? It is not a tempting name!! Then, I asked my friend why people would like to bake this kind of cake? Is it because of Easter? It makes sense. Easter eggs, rabbits, carrot cake!! Why not?! My friend fell on the floor laughing. Sayidno. Although she didn’t know the reason, it is definitely not due to Easter. Google it that sugar was very expensive in the past. Carrot contains lots of sugars so that people used it as the sweeteners. Now, people just like carrot cake instead of price issue.

Another friend likes carrot cake a lot that she asks me to bake it as a challenge. I don’t like to eat carrot how come I would like to study carrot cake recipe. But, AGAIN, I should explore new thing instead of baking things I like to do only. So, I say YES. Did some studies I decided to reference MaryBerry’s Carrot Cake recipe. But, did some adjustment!!

 

Oven Temperature Setting: 180C/356F; Baking Time: 50~60 minutes
Recipe: 7” round tin (Height: 10cm)
(Selena’s Kitchen Talk: If you have two 7” round tin, use it. It will be easier for assembly. And the baking time should reduce to around 30 minutes.) 


 

Steps of the Cake
(1) Weight all ingredients
(2) Add egg and sunflower oil into a bowl. Whisk wet ingredients.
(3) Add flour and baking powder into oil batter. Mix them well.


(4) Peel and grate carrots. Chop walnuts into very small pieces, around 0.3cm X 0.3cm. Add sugar, carrots and walnuts into the batter. Incorporate them well.
(Selena’ Kitchen Talk: Now, the batter is hard to handle by hand mixer. If there are dough hooks for your hand mixer, use it. If not, handle it by spatula. )
(5) Pour the batter into the 7” round tine. Bake it at the pre-heat oven at 180C/356F. May need to cover it with a piece of kitchen foil after 30 minutes, if the surface is well-baked. 
(Selena’s Kitchen Talk: Insert the cake tester into the middle of the cake. If there is no batter left on it, it means it is ready.)


 

Steps of topping
(1) Weight all ingredients
(2) Mix butter and soft cheese well

(3) Add icing sugar into the cheese batter. Well-incorporated all ingredients.


 
Steps of Assembly
(1) Cool the cake at least 3 hours.
(2) Shape your cake. The middle of your cake may grow up. Cut them off. Half the cake into two 7” round shape.
(Selena’s Kitchen Talk: If you have two 7” round tin. Then, use it. You just need to cut the grow up part.)


(3) Place the first layer on the plate. Spread the topping on it.


(4) Place the second layer on the top of topping and spread the topping on it and around it. If you have some carrot chocolate decorations, put it on.
 
 

This is my challenge. I can’t believe it is so YUM. No carrot flavor AT ALL. Believe me. You say no to carrot cake because you don’t like carrot. It will be too sad. Try this recipe. It is amazing. When I did the decoration, we ate up all cut-off pieces immediately. I promise my friends that I will bake this carrot cake again. Go and try it. Enjoy it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment